INDEPENDENT ‘AUDIO-FIRST’ ENTERTAINMENT STUDIO RELEASES FIRST-EVER TRAILER FOR AUDIBLE’S #1 SCI-FI AUDIOBOOK SERIES: EXPEDITIONARY FORCE BY CRAIG ALANSON
Author: Craig Alanson
Narrator: R.C. Bray
Length: 15 hours 50 minutes
Series: Expeditionary Force, Book 2
Publisher: Podium Publishing
Released: Mar. 7, 2017
Genre: Science Fiction
From multimillion dollar, best-selling author Craig Alanson (and narrated by fan-favorite R.C. Bray) Expeditionary Force is a New York Times best-selling military science-fiction series that will be composed of 14 novels. The first audiobook in the series, Columbus Day, was one of five finalists for the prestigious Audie Award in 2018 and has been optioned for film and television by Milmar Pictures (AIR FORCE ONE, CASTLE, HOLLOW MAN). Zachary Quinto (STAR TREK, NOS482, HEROES) and Kate Mulgrew (ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, STAR TREK: VOYAGER) starred in the epic Expeditionary Force audio drama HOMEFRONT; Armageddon, Book 8, debuted at #1 on all of Audible. Books 1-9 are available now on Audible.
Colonel Joe Bishop made a promise, and he’s going to keep it: taking the captured alien starship Flying Dutchman back out. He doesn’t agree when the UN decides to send almost 70 elite Special Operations troops, hotshot pilots, and scientists with him; the mission is a fool’s errand he doesn’t expect to ever return from. At least this time, the Earth is safe, right?
Not so much.
Podium Audio is thrilled to announce the debut of the studio’s first audiobook trailer to mark the release of Valkyrie, the highly-anticipated ninth installment of New York Times best-selling author Craig Alanson’s Expeditionary Force sci-fi audiobook series. Voiced by R.C. Bray and edited by leading advertising agency Jump/Cut (trailers for PARASITE, FIRST REFORMED, CAPTAIN FANTASTIC), the audiobook trailer is Podium’s first foray into the audiovisual realm.
Podium Audio’s First-Ever Trailer Marks the Release of Valkyrie, the Highly-Anticipated Ninth Audiobook from the #1 Independently Published Sci-Fi Novelist in the World
Craig Alanson is a NYT best-selling author. His first audiobook ‘Columbus Day’ was one of five finalists for Audiobook Of The Year 2018 Visit craigalanson.com for FAQs, blog posts, merchandise, etc.
From an early age Audie, Earphones, and SOVAS Voice Arts Award-winning audiobook narrator R.C. Bray despised reading. Truly hated it with a passion.
And audiobooks? Even worse. Those were for people too lazy to read (not to be confused with those like himself who didn’t want to read to begin with).
R.C. eventually got older and wiser (he was always good-looking) and eschewing his capricious convictions fell head-over-heels with reading. Not just to learn words like “eschew” and “capricious” so he could use them in a bio line, but because someone was actually going to give him money to do it.
Note: R.C.’s gorgeous wife and three beautiful children begged him not to make this his official bio. Clearly he misunderstood.
Podium is an industry-leading independent audiobook publisher built upon the foundation of successful partnerships with self-published authors and narrators. With deep share of voice in the genres of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Romance, the company has enjoyed quick commercial and critical acclaim, releasing almost 1,300 audiobooks, numerous best-sellers, winning an Audie Award and 13 Voice Arts Awards. Podium is best-known for supporting, nurturing and discovering independent authors and narrators from the U.S. and around the world. The company gained international notice when it took a risk on one-time unknown author Andy Weir (The Martian) and turned his e-book into the largest audiobook seller in the world.
Q&A with Author Craig Alanson: Part II
- If this title were being made into a TV series or movie, who would you cast to play the primary roles?
- Fans have asked what aliens in the books look like, and my answer is they look like whatever the art director if the TV series thinks they look like. Same with casting actors. Whatever I say will get someone upset. The ‘Expeditionary Force’ Facebook page has many fans who argue about that subject.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”?
- I would say nothing. Actually, I would say ‘Umm’ and smile and nod politely, and then never speak to them again during their sad, lonely little lives. The world is full of idiots, never waste your time arguing with them.
- How did you celebrate after finishing this novel?
- By hitting the ‘Send’ button to email the manuscript to Podium. Then I clean my laptop, open a new Word document and start the next book. Usually my wife and I also go out for a nice dinner.
- What gets you out of a writing slump? What about a reading slump?
- My wife shows me that we have to make a mortgage payment at the end of the month. I find that very inspiring.
- In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of writing a stand-alone novel vs. writing a series?
- Writing a series can be easier because you already know the world and the characters. It can be more difficult because with each book, you have to keep that world and those characters fresh and interesting. With Expeditionary Force, I am writing to a series outline, so it is really like writing a really long book. Really long, like the books you were forced to read over the summer in high school.
- Have any of your characters ever appeared in your dreams?
- Not yet. I think about them constantly while I’m awake.
- What bits of advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- There is writing advice in one of my blogs on craigalanson.com but basically my advice is write a book you would want to read, and write. Write a lot, that is how you develop your style and discover what works for you.
- Do you have any tips for authors going through the process of turning their books into audiobooks?
- Find a good partner. Working with Podium has been very good for me. Also, do not try to narrate the book yourself unless you have already been doing voice work and are good at it. Also, a good narrator is worth every penny (and more!).
- What’s next for you?
- The next book
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
Sign up as a tour host here.