It’s January 4th – National Trivia Day, and you know what that means?
I’m bringing the totally useless trivia!
Enjoy, and feel free to add your own!
- The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.
- The expression ‘to get fired’ comes from long ago Clans that wanted to get rid of unwanted people, so they would burn their houses instead of killing them, creating the term ‘Got fired’.
- A fully-loaded supertanker traveling at normal speed takes at least 20 minutes to stop.
- Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
- There is a town in Newfoundland, Canada called Dildo.
- The Boston University Bridge (on Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts) is the only place in the world where a boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane.
- Steely Dan got their name from a sexual device depicted in the book ‘The Naked Lunch’.
- The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses. No one in Greece has memorized all 158 verses.
- There is a seven-letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, “therein”: the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
- To “testify” was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
- The state of Florida is bigger than England!
- In every episode of Seinfeld, there is a Superman somewhere.
- The placement of a donkey’s eyes in its’ heads enables it to see all four feet at all times!
- Owls are one of the only birds who can see the color blue!
- Honeybees have a type of hair on their eyes!
- When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes the state’s third largest city.
- The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “It’s A Wonderful Life.”
- Winston Churchill was born in a ladies’ room during a dance.
- Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
- There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- The name for Oz in the “Wizard of Oz” was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z; hence the name “OZ.”
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
- In Disney’s Fantasia, the Sorcerer’s name is “Yensid” (Disney backwards.)
- In The Empire Strikes Back there is a potato hidden in the asteroid field
- Walt Disney holds the world record for the most Academy Awards won by one person, he has won twenty statuettes, and twelve other plaques and certificates.
Need more useless trivia? Stop by my author page – FeliciaDenise.com – to continue the madness!