After their initial visit at the hospital where Rena has daily physical therapy, she and Olivia meet hospital volunteer, Martin ‘Marty’ Knight as they leave. Marty is concerned about the sadness in Rena’s eyes and tries to cheer her up as he helps her into the car. He is shocked to find out that Rena’s injuries and the death of her mother were caused by the same weather-related, multi-vehicle accident that claimed the life of his best friend, Victor Roddy.
During Marty and Rena’s conversation, Olivia finds herself staring at the man, convinced they have met before. She just cannot remember where. Marty also cast several glances in Olivia’s direction trying to figure out why she looks so familiar. His memory fails him.
As the story unfolds, Marty Knight will not only become a good friend and ‘grandfather’ to Rena, he will play a pivotal role in Olivia Chandler sorting out her past…and navigating her future.
- Martin Eugene Knight
- Age: 71
- Retiree and Hospital Volunteer
- DOB: October 31, 1943
- Born in Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Marital Status: Widower. Wife, EmmaJean, passed away three years ago after a difficult battle with liver cancer.
- Marty and EmmaJean married right after graduating from high school. She died two weeks after their 50th wedding anniversary.
- Has five children and eleven grandchildren.
- Veteran of the Vietnam War. Entered the war near its beginning and served four years.
- Received a Purple Heart and Medal Honor.
- Enjoys building miniatures, fly fishing, and watching westerns.
- Carries a keychain with a picture of his wife on one side, and a picture of his dog on the other. His dog passed away two months after his wife, at the age of 16. EmmaJean named the dog Dwight, because she was convinced he looked like Dwight D Eisenhower.